by Shawn Brasseaux
It is often said that Albert Einstein was so intelligent, “he was figuring out where to put the sack of trash while everyone else was still trying to bag it.” If you want to apply that concept to God’s intelligence, you need to modify it quite a bit. “We are searching for the trashcan, and God has not only found it, but He created that trashcan from nothing!” 🙂
We cannot begin to fathom the omnipotence (all-powerful) and omniscience (all-knowing) of God. He is just so far beyond words. Everything about the Lord Jesus Christ is overwhelming: the Bible gives us brief glimpses of God’s nature, but we still have many unanswered questions. How can God be three Persons in one Godhead? How can God not have an origin? How could He create the universe by simply speaking forth words, “Let there be….?” How can He know the thoughts and intentions of every single person? How can He know the future? How can He hear every Christian’s prayer?
God does not live in our dimension. Time does not affect Him, but He has the ability to intervene in time and accomplish His work. God lives in “eternity present,” but He also lives in “eternity past” as well as “eternity future.” He is a Spirit who is eternal, infinite in all directions. He knows everything about everything! Our expanding universe is just a little speck in His eyes! The works of man’s labors are evidence of God’s knowledge. The Lord equipped man with the ability to think, to invent, and to love Him in return (unfortunately, mankind has chosen not to love God in return).
Even if I could write billions upon billions of pages about God, it would just be the starting point. He just is too awesome! So, we are going to let the Word of God describe Himself!
- Psalm 8:1 KJV: “O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! Who hast set thy glory above the heavens.”
- Psalm 57:11 KJV: “Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth.”
- Psalm 69:34 KJV: “Let the heaven and earth praise him, the seas, and every thing that moveth therein.”
- Psalm 86:8 KJV: “Among the [false] gods, there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works.”
- Psalm 90:4 KJV: “Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God!”
- Psalm 97:9 KJV: “For thou, LORD, art high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods.”
- Psalm 145:3 KJV: “Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.”
- Psalm 147:6 KJV: “He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.”